With the warmer months upon us, we thought we would share one of our favourite summer salad recipes with you. This fresh and crunchy superfood recipe is packed with all the important nutrients to kick-start your healthy summer lifestyle. Simple and easy to make, it’s the perfect option for lunch, dinner or even an afternoon snack!
Ingredients – serves 10
We are passionate about supporting local Victorian suppliers and encourage you to source recipe ingredients locally, wherever possible.
- 250 grams sweet potato
- 200 grams pearl barley
- ½ bunch of asparagus
- 3 x boiled eggs
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 250 grams beetroot
- 50 grams walnuts
- 100 grams wild rocket
- 4 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel sweet potato and beetroot, dice into 5mm squares and drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast at 180 degrees (celsius) for 10 minutes or until cooked and allow to cool (should still be slightly crunchy).
- Boil pearl barley for 15-20 mins or until cooked.
- Wash wild rocket and set aside.
- Cut asparagus to about 3cm lengths, blanch in boiling water and then refresh in iced water.
- Boil eggs, peel and cut into wedges.
- On a moderate heat, pan-fry walnuts for a few minutes until roasted (continue to move around in pan to prevent walnuts burning).
- Mix together lemon juice and olive oil to make the dressing.
- Place fresh rocket in a serving bowl.
- Mix together sweet potato, beetroot, barley, asparagus and 1 teaspoon of chia seeds.
- Drizzle olive and lemon dressing over mixed salad ingredients, toss and place on top of rocket.
- Top salad with boiled egg wedges, walnuts and remaining chia seeds.