We’re in the process of updating our menu planning guide and couldn’t help but share this delicious chicken pasta recipe with you (before it has even hit the MCEC menu). The perfect entrée for a dinner party, it’s not too complicated for the amateur home chef and is guaranteed to impress your guests!
Ingredients – serves 6
We are passionate about supporting local Victorian suppliers and encourage you to source recipe ingredients locally, wherever possible.
- 500 grams chicken thigh fillets
- 1 packet fresh pasta sheets (if you’re feeling adventurous you can make them from scratch)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 250 grams ricotta
- 10 grams tarragon
Fennel jam (to garnish)
- 2 x fennel
- 200 grams sugar
- 400ml riesling (white wine)
- 3 x fennel
- 1 x tablespoon butter
- Olive oil and salt to taste
Green pea purée
- 500 grams green peas
- 100 grams chicken stock
- 100 grams crème fraiche
- 10 x mint leaves
*Kalamata olives and dehydrated fennel to garnish.
- Dice up chicken and cook in pan using extra virgin olive oil.
- Blend cooked chicken pieces, lemon zest, ricotta and tarragon in food processor until mixed together.
- Cut fresh pasta sheets into squares (approx. 10cm x 10cm)
- Place teaspoon of blended chicken mixture into centre of pasta square, folder over into a triangle and press down on sides to join together.
- Next fold bottom triangle points together and join by pressing together.
- Repeat this process until you have created all your tortellini. Sprinkle very lightly with plain flour and set aside.
- Dice fennel into 1cm squares, then add to pot with a little olive oil and cook down on a gentle heat.
- When fennel is soft add the sugar and riesling (white wine).
- Continue to cook down until it has caramelised and becomes a nice jam-like consistency. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Cut fennel into wedges, toss in extra virgin olive oil and salt, place in tray and cover with foil.
- Cook in oven at 110 degrees for 70 minutes or until soft enough to purée.
- Purée in food processor with a little butter, season to taste and pass through a fine strainer.
Green pea purée
- Blanch peas for 1 minute in hot water, then drain and refresh.
- Place peas in a food processor and purée with mint leaves and a little chicken stock until smooth.
- Add some crème fraiche, mix and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring pot of water to the boil, add fresh chicken tortellini and cook until pasta floats to the top (approx. 5-7 minutes). Drain thoroughly – * Note: do not overcook pasta.
- Smear fennel and green pea purée across bottom of plate, then place cooked pasta on top.
- Add a tablespoon of fennel jam to either side of the dish with extra crème fraiche if needed.
- Top with diced kalamata olives, dehydrated fennel and green garnish.